search Have a break: It happened one Monday!
 

Have a break

 
Subscribe & Rate Me

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Blog Catalog
Subscribe the feed

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Visitors
It happened one Monday!
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Chapter 2: My Other Side of the World

I reached my cube in a fizzy and started my obligations at office with the stealth of a spy. I positioned the laptop in its predefined coordinates, not that i measure it but a clearly delineated, neat and dirt-free rectangular plot on the desk defines the ambit of it's existence and it's restrictive movement by an abstract halter. I must state that the state of the rest of the desk is not socially unacceptable for a sizable group of office-goers. Though, i would agree that my desk desperately needs a women's touch.
I believe it is that mesh of the wires that demotivates me or for the fact of the matter, anyone to lift them delicately and dexterously and clean the area hidden innocuously under them, and place them back. All just too treacherous for an immobile piece of space that means no harm to anyone- it was indeed a high-risk, low-gain game. I played safe and played no such game.
These wires now exhibit all sects, attributes and nature-  fat, thin, curvy, athletic-built, married, single, divorced, looking, straight and gays. "Single and looking" is the funniest one. Looking at it, it appears ultra attentive, high on heels and ready to hop on to anyone at slightest of an opportunity. I remember when i first walked into this office space years back and i saw the myriad of colors coming out that socket from under the desk, aesthetically intertwined and hidden from the cruel civilization behind the board. But one fine day, came an engineer, worked like an engineer and left corpses behind him, much like an engineer. Not to take away any credits from him, he fixed the network connectivity but the glory remained uncovered, ever since then, long after he was gone.... The solitary screw that hinged itself to the board fought gallantly but inconsequentially. It was awarded a luxurious stay at a vantage point on my desk for a long time in a romanticized hope of reunion before been binned posthumously.

And now 3 years after, those colorful wires: whites, yellows, blacks, blues, greens more or less look the same.
Some whites had turned into yellow(read pale), some turned into black, the blues turned into greasy blacks, yellow ones appear pregnant for the last 9 months with no yield while the green ones look like a worm fresh cut, permeating possibly 4th form of matter and enticing 6th sense of smell.

I have manged to look away from them by a stack of wasted printouts, a useless desktop monitor and a big old desk phone. Somewhere in a nook of my heart, i know there is dirt and part of it hopes it just goes away one day.
But knowing i will be moving away from here soon, i  managed keep the desk occupiable, kept my sleeves clean and continued killing a few red ants once in a while, that managed a long walk to my laptop through those sockets and wires. I will admit to sharing a partial responsibility. It could be that apple pie i left on the keyboard that was crushed on the board by mistake. Since then the motherboard had not been only housing the circuits and chips but these red Lilliputians too.

On that Monday morning, as i opened up the laptop- i located a red ant emerging through the crevice between keys F5 and F6. As if it knew i was shooting for a kill, it quickly retracted inside. I managed to kill it but in the process, ruptured the F5 key in a rush of undeniable, intense desire to retrieve the corpse out of its burial ground. Like there was no end to the miseries, another one came gasping out from the big gaping pit created by the absence of the pointing stick at the confluence of keys G H and B.Who on earth uses that small rubber button stuck in there anyways? I wondered..
It feels funny to touch it though. And i guess, i overplayed with it before losing it forever. It was another easy kill but again.. not a great start to the morning.

I cleaned up, strictly the 'area of absolute business' and strategically kept the gym bag on the desk at an angle to hide any possible line of sight of this "other side of the world" and let it be a preposterous display of my non conformism.


Before i could take a breather, multitudes of emails popped out over the same 'burning" issue from 7 different people demanding an "ASAP" response from the same person. No prizes for guessing who that same person would be- me! And then came meeting requests, conference call requests, status update requests, 'swing by my desk' requests. I had no choice but to head for the strongest coffee ever.

Labels: ,

posted by Dheeraj @ 11:39 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Dheeraj
Home: Dallas, TX, United States
About Me: Working in some IT domain doing something that no stakeholders know why,what or till what? Megalomanic,over-acheiver,overtly exaggerating and conceiving most unrealististic qualities about my looks , Add to it ,my poor grammar.Summarized easily as AVOIDABLE acquaintance.That's me. Disclaimer:The contents of my blogs are meant for a good read, healthy humor and sporadically realistic yet fabricated anecdotes.Please don't get offended when no-one is actually offending you. Should you have something to share or suggest - don't be a silent traveller- Profile and comment section are for a reason... drop in a mail @ dheeraj.kishore@gmail.com or add me.I always revert back!!
See my complete profile
My Facebook Profile


Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

BLOGGER

Copyright © 2008 Dheeraj Pandey. All rights reserved.

© Have a break Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com